Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Big Brother (Your Boss) Really IS Watching you at Work

Karen Mattonen wrote an article essentially complaining about lack of employee privacy in the workplace. She didn't outright say employees need more privacy on their computer but she definitely implied it. Personally I don't have any problem with employers monitoring my every key stroke on their computers while I'm being paid by them. I feel that there is no expectation of privacy for what I do on my employer's computer so I should be very careful about what actions I take while on the computer.
I figure employers can go one of two directions in order to protect themselves when it come to internet and phone activity. They can limit the sites that their employees have access to. This could be accomplished by blocking all websites except those deemed necessary to do ones job. Similar action would also need to take place with regards to file sharing and cell phone usage. Or, the company can allow it's employees unfettered use of all the technology at their disposal, but monitor it. To me, this is a much better solution for both the employer and the employee. The employee has more freedom to do whatever needs to be done to get the job done and the employer has the ability to make sure the employee is not doing anything improper.
One statistic that Mattonen used that suprised me is that 92 percent of employers monitor their employees in some way or another. To me it is astounding that 8 percent of employers don't protect themselves in any way. To not know what is being done by your employees with your property is to ask for trouble. It could invite any number of lawsuits. Also, it's just asking the dishonest employee to push the limits of trust and to use your property improperly.

No comments:

Post a Comment