Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tell me about Jibber Jobber, Roy!

As many of you may know, I am currently seeking employment outside of the bicycle retail environment. As such I've started using Jibber Jobber as a job searching tool. It is also a networking and application tracking system. To me, it essentially feels like Avature, intended for the job seeker instead of the applicant seeker. The experience feels mostly web 2.0 to me. I can tell the developers have worked very hard to put a lot of tools into the website while still attempting not to clutter it.
One module that it incorporates is a networking tracking tool. The idea of it is that you use it similar to LinkedIn. When you meet a person important to your career network you note the person's specifics as well as making notes. You are then able to schedule follow up reminders. You're able to enter in the person's work and personal information as well as many other details.
Another tool that Jibber Jobber uses is a company tracker. It allows you to track the companies and jobs that you've applied for. It allows you to link the resume and cover letter that you applied with to the job which is linked to the company. From there you can schedule follow up tasks as well as keeping track of responses from the company - such as follow up interviews or rejections.
For me, so far, my favorite tool is the job searched and applied to function. It has a job searching function that I would say is very similar to Avature's resume searching function. It singles out specific jobs websites and allows you to search them for key works in job titles. While the function is not nearly as powerful as Avature's tool, it has helped to speed up the search a little.
I believe Jibber Jobber has the right idea with a lot of their tools, but still has room to grow. For instance, they could allow the job searcher to search more than one jobs website at a time. Or, once a job has been found, it would be nice if the job seeker could import that job directly into their positions module. Currently they need to enter jobs manually.
All in all I would say Jibber Jobber definitely has some useful tools, although I'm not sure if if it actually solves a problem for me. Like any new software I will need to use it for a while before I can be sure if it's any better than my previous method.

No comments:

Post a Comment